PL 2: Digital sovereignty – from users’ empowerment to technological leadership
¶ 1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 Katarina Andjelkovic, Geneva Internet Platform
- ¶ 2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 3
- The EU is at the frontline when it comes to enabling the digital sovereignty of individuals due to its legal, ethical, and basic values that were in place before the digital era. However, it is crucial that the EU takes more action than before in order to retain its leading role in the topics around digital sovereignty.
- ¶ 3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 1
- The real foundation of digital sovereignty is digital infrastructure, as shown by the COVID-19 pandemic. It is therefore key for the EU to focus on investments in telecommunication infrastructure, reflect on its regulatory frameworks and its actions, and further raise its voice at international fora.
- ¶ 4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 1
- To ensure a thorough approach in regard to the digital economy, the EU needs to also have a strong position on software, not only on infrastructure. The assurances that we have the knowledge and competences to build something, to understand what is underlying, and to innovate are key.
- ¶ 5 Leave a comment on paragraph 5 0
- The EU’s large companies need to be much more active in acquiring and using innovation founded by the region’s SMEs and startups and linking that with the extremely important work of universities and research centers.
Sorry, the comment which slipped into para 3 should have been for par 2:
At the end a sentence should be added: The DSA package offers the perfect opportunity.
You could add after the last sentence: the DSA package offers the perfect opportunity.
Perhaps, at the end, you could also add something about making sure that the “offline” values of Europe continue to apply online, e.g. “in order to… and to enforce the European values in the norms and customs for online activities”.