WS 11: Challenges and uptake of modern Internet standards (including, but not limited to IPv6, DNSSEC, HTTPS, RPKI)
- ¶ 2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0
- Several agreed upon Internet standards and protocols (HTTPS, IPv6, DNSSEC, RPKI, etc) have been slow in deployment for decades.
- ¶ 3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0
- The adoption of these standards and protocols is challenging due to multiple factors such as: market incentives, unwillingness of the tech community to make an effort, and the discrepancy between the efforts spent and the end result regarding the safety and security of protocols.
- ¶ 4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 2
- We need to create pressure points in society to spur the deployment of standards. First, we need to address the marketing problem by making security gaps in the Internet transport layer visible to users through education. Second, we need to carefully discuss political tools of pressure, including legislation.