Rapporteur: Jamal Shahin, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and UNU-CRIS
- The EU’s strength lies in its focus on a human-centric, collaborative approach to the internet.
- European values can be promoted through development of open and interdependent standards within and outside Europe.
- Specific and targeted regulation is necessary, but too much emphasis on the EU’s regulatory power is counter-productive.
- Digital Sovereignty is not about isolation but about accountability mechanisms.
- Frictionless data portability is a functional requirement for end-users to benefit from individual digital sovereignty.
- Risk management, security technology, and legal instruments are building blocks for trust.